I am a statistician by background and have been at Newcastle University since 1992.
I have considerable experience of the design and analysis of clinical trials and epidemiological studies.
Roles and Responsibilities
Current Research Projects as Co-Investigator
- EMPOWER: Randomised trial of emesis in pregnancy - Ondansetron with Metoclopramide.
- SEED: Supporting excellence in end of life care in dementia : feasibility study.
- EXTRAS: A trial to evaluate an extended rehabilitation service for stroke patients.
- RATULS: A trial to evaluate robot assisted training and physiotherapy for upper limb deficiency after stroke.
- PRE-OP BIRDS: Pre-operative behavioural intervention for risky drinkers before elective orthopaedic surgery: feasibility study.
- SOLID: Supporting looked after children in decreasing drugs, alcohol and smoking: feasibility study.
- DIFRID: Developing an intervention for falls-related injuries in dementia.
- RiGD: Single-arm trial of adjuvant Rituximab in young patients with Graves hyperthyroidism.
- National Institute for Health Research - Programme Grant for Applied Research - Sub-panel member 2016-20.
- National Institute for Health Research - Health Service and Delivery Research - HDR Commissioning Board Member 2012-15.
- NIHR Stroke Research Network Acute Clinical Studies Group - Member 2012-15.
- National Institute for Health Research - Service Delivery & Organisation - Commissioning Board Member 2009-11.
- Dept of Health - Committee on Carcinogenicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment 2000-09.
- Undergraduate Teaching
- SFY0002 Basic Statistics: Module leader & lecturer
- Postgraduate Teaching
- MSc Public Health and Health Services Research
- HSC8036 Health Statistics: Module leader & lecturer
- HSC8029 Introduction to Quantitative Research Methods: Lecturer
- External examiner: Liverpool University MPH (Online)
- Medical statistics
- Public health
Chartered Statistician, 2000
MSc Statistics, 1977
University of London
BSc Mathematics & Statistics, 1976
University of London